Monday, July 14, 2008

Thoughts from Chaingmai

I am finally able to have time time to write some of my own thoughts down for the first time since I have been here. There is so much to take in here that it is hard for me to stop and take the time to write on our blog. But I will try to do it more often. Yesterday was our first day of class. It is very interesting but I find it hard to concentrate in the classroom. I just want to be out in the city as much as possible. I know the classroom time is very beneficial for us to learn how to share the gospel with the people here, but actually doing it is so much more rewarding. In the afternoon we went to a Buddhist temple. In the temple there was a memorial for a monk who had passed away. As I looked at his photograph my heart was burdened for the man. He spent his life following a lie. The reality that the man that I was staring at was in hell at that very moment, and for all eternity made me sick. I realized how important it was to share the gospel with everyone possible while we are here. We have the power to save lives with the gospel. I am praying that the Lord will help me become bold in my faith so I will be able to share more frequently, and that the time here will become habit when I return home and I will share in the states as well as overseas.

On a lighter note I am spending my 22nd birthday overseas!! It is very neat to be celebrating in another country. Tonight a group of us are planning on going to get full massages for 1.5 hours. I am so excited. I have never been able to go before. Plus it's only like 10 dollars which makes it even more exciting!

Well, we are on a break in class so I don't have much time, but for those of you praying for us, please pray for boldness. Also, we have three sick on the trip so pray for quick healing for those who are sick so they can get back out with the people here in Chaingmai. Thank you so much for your prayers!! God Bless!!

Amy~

4 comments:

Michele said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR AMY...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! [sung to the tune of happy birthday]

Michele said...

I can't imagine what it must be like for you guys to be there witnessing all that first hand. It makes me stop and take a pause to think about what you're describing and it's awesome that you are right there to experience it first hand. We are certainly praying for everyone's health and safety during the trip and now for BOLDNESS.

aimai said...

It would definitely help you to witness to the Thais if you could, for example, not misspell the name of the city you are in. Also, it might just possibly help if you were to grasp for one second that neither you nor your limited, selfish, childish view of the supreme being actually has any effect at all on whether another person "burns in hell" or not. Its wonderful that you will be able to take advantage of the exchange rate to have a cheap massage. That should certainly turn some poor woman's mind from her earthly problems and her own culture to an appreciation of your's and your religion.

aimai

Max said...

Yikes. "following a lie." That's a bit much. You'll get a lot more sympathy for your cause and mission if you open your mind a little.