Monday, July 21, 2008

The Muslim Situation

We have begun Muslim week here in Thailand. The Muslim people are an intimidating people to most Americans I would presume, and I was intimidated to start this week. The situation with Muslims in this country is tenuous. In the south of Thailand, there have been a number of acts of violence perpetrated by Muslim extremist groups. Because of this, Muslims all over the country are looked down upon and actively persecuted by much of the Buddhist majority. Here in Chiang Mai, many of the merchants do not want to serve them and if they do, will gouge them for exorbitant prices. Most of the Muslims here are tourists just trying to have a good time with their families so it is sad to see them on the short end of a situation they did nothing to bring upon themselves. We rode a Song Tau with a Muslim woman and her two children and watched as they were refused their change from a 500 Baht bill after their ride to their hotel (their change should have been about 400 Baht back to them out of a 500 Baht bill).

Muslims get a bad rap just about everywhere and most of them do nothing to deserve it. The ones I have been in contact with are gracious people with whom I was privileged to speak. I am meeting this week with a Kashmiri man and hope to form a good relationship with him as the week goes by. Pray for our time together that it might be fruitful.

-JP-

3 comments:

Michele said...

It wounds like you all have stayed very busy in a good way. In the posts that you each leave I can feel the enthusiasm coming through your thoughts. I think one of the most important things that you must gain doing this type of work is patience. Knowing that the fruit of your work is most likely not going to be shown to you in a direct sense; that you have to have faith that in these interactions you are giving a message of hope and God's grace that will root in their hearts even after you have come home. We pray for you each personally and for your group each day. Enjoy your trip and continue to keep us posted.

Jeraldine said...

It's good to hear from you again Justin. Like Michele says it sounds like you are keeping pretty busy. I told the girls at work about you and Amy going to Thailand and why you were going and I also printed the picture of you and Ronald McDonald and took it to work and showed them. I hope that the remainder of your trip will be as interesting and positive as the first part. I know that God is working through you and your group and I pray for an even bigger end for Him to your stay in Thailand. Can't wait to see you and hear the rest of the story.

Tracy said...

Hi guys, I am so glad to read all of the great news! I am so excited for you! I am relieved to see that everything is going so well and that you are having such a wonderful time there. Just from reading about all of your experiences and seeing your pictures I wish I was there with you! Everything looks so amazing! And to do Gods work in such a place must have a rewarding feeling. Just to be in a new environment to see more of Gods glorious creations must be so inspiring! Our prayers are with you that you will have a bountiful time and every word spoken will have a tremendous impact on leading those to the Lord! Love you and I pray that you continue to have such a wonderful experience. Tracy and Jeremy.