Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thailand on day two

Well here we are on day two here in Chiang Mai. When I was in South America before I learned much Spanish, I could at least find my way around because of the similarities between the two languages. Well, Thai and English have absolutely nothing in common. The signs here with their Thai writing are like pieces of artwork to me: the script is beautiful but completely incomprehensible. The same is true with the language when it is spoken. I know three or four simple phrases but nothing beyond that. I lost my Bible at the food court in the mall today and trying to ask people about it was impossible. Not even my hand gestures worked. Communication is profoundly difficult here. I have been looking for a Thai soccer jersey for a day or two and I have yet to get anyone to understand what I want. I am relying completely on the two translators we have for most everything right now.

We have eaten out a few times now and I can say that the food is great overall, especially the shrimp! Thailand produces an incredible amount of shrimp so all of it is fresh and cheap. A typical lunch out is about forty baht ($1) and a typical dinner about 100-300 baht ($3-$6).

I keep hitting doorways here since I am so tall. Thais are incredibly short compared to Americans and incredibly petite as well. We were talking to a group of girls who were freshman at the nursing school here and they looked like they were honestly about 14 years old. We don't stick out too much though because there are hundreds of Europeans here, some for vacation and relaxation and some for spiritual pursuits. The marketplaces are teeming with them.

Well, more to come. I have to stand to type here so my notes won't be all that long.

-JP-

No comments: